Financial Aid

Help that goes a long way

Financial aid is available to those who qualify.

Please use the following steps to help guide you through the Free Application for the Federal Student Aid process. This guide is a quick overview of the type of information needed when going through the application online. Logon to the Federal website for complete instructions. It is our desire that this process is made easy for you and we want to help you in any way that we can!

Our Financial Aid Officer will gladly assist you in this process. You may e-mail us at or call 843-467-2397 to make an appointment.

your guide

follow these steps to get financial aid

Step 1 - Apply for a U.S. Dept. of Education Pin #

Your PIN# is an electronic access code that will enable you to sign on-line documents and access your Federal Aid records.

  • If you have a PIN already and have completed a 14/15 FAFSA – go to STEP 2
  • If you have a PIN and have not completed a 14/15 FAFSA – go to STEP 3
  • If you have not yet applied for a PIN go to and follow the instructions. If you are a dependent student (which you will find out by answering the questions in STEP 3), both you and a parent will need a PIN to complete the on-line process.

Once received, keep your PIN# confidential since it can be used to access personal/confidential information.

Step 2 - If you have already completed a 14/15 FAFSA

Go to and click on “Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA” and add the school code for the Strand College of Hair Design.

This is Strand College of Hair Design’s school code: #032933

Step 3 - determine your dependency status

The Federal Government has specific guidelines established to determine the dependency status of a student for Financial Aid purposes. If a student is found to be “dependent” based on these guidelines, parent income and asset information will also be required to complete the FAFSA.

The following FAFSA questions will determine if you are an independent or dependent student. If you can check yes to ANY of the following questions, you WILL NOT be asked to provide parental information. If you cannot check yes to any of the following questions, you WILL be asked to provide parental information.

  • I was born before January 1, 1991
  • As of today, I am married
  • I will be working on a master’s or doctorate program (e.g., MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD)
  • I am serving on active duty in the US Armed Forces, for other than training purposes
  • I am a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • I have children and I will provide more than half of their support, now through 06/30/15
  • Since I turned age 13, both of my parents were deceased
  • I have dependents (other than my children or spouse) that live with me and I provide more than half of their support, now through 06/30/15
  • I was in foster care at any time since turning age 13 (documentation needed)
  • I was a dependent or ward of the court at any time since turning age 13 (documentation needed)
  • I am currently or I was in legal guardianship as determined by a court (documentation needed)
  • I am currently or I was an emancipated minor as determined by a court (documentation needed)
  • I am homeless or I am at risk of being homeless (documentation needed)

Step 4 - if you are completing a 14/15 FASA for the first time

Go to the website and complete the FAFSA worksheet, which will help you gather all of the necessary items to prepare for the actual on-line process.

For assistance with the on-line application call the Federal Student Aid Information Center @ 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).

If you are hearing impaired, contact the TTY line @ 1-800-730-8913.

Once the worksheet is complete, select “Filling Out a FAFSA” and follow the prompts to complete it. Don’t forget to sign the signature page (and your parent, if dependent) with your PIN#!

Aid for Veterans and Vocational Rehabilitation

Veterans Benefits

Strand College of Hair Design is approved for Veterans Benefits. Students enrolled in the Cosmetology program who qualify for veterans benefits will be eligible for such benefits for all training provided on the College’s premises provided they are enrolled in at least 25 clock hours per week. Student eligibility is ultimately determined by the Veterans Administration and it is the student’s responsibility to apply for such directly with the Veterans Administration office. The student is responsible for paying the college the tuition according to their individual contract. The college is not paid by the Veterans Administration.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Students eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation may apply for such financial assistance. Eligibility is determined by the South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation office. Voc Rehab and the College contract on each approved student. Vocational Rehab requires monthly reports on progress.

Financial aid programs

Student Loans

Your source for information from the United States Department of Education about how to manage your student loans. Website »